The post of AOA Secretary becomes vacant on 01 Sep 20 and volunteers are sought for the role from serving Army personnel, or a Reservist. If anyone wants to take over sooner given the current restrictions and twiddling of thumbs by some, then that can be arranged so you can get up to speed with the responsibilities. There is also a lot of advice/help available for all these tasks and some of the responsibilities could even be split if a pair wanted to take it on. An outline job description is below and the work occupies around 1.5 days per month effort, but with peaks and troughs in activity, e.g. after a Longmoor course.
To learn more about the role, please get in touch with Maj Andy Johnson, the current secretary and to volunteer contact, Lt Col Chris Huthwaite, AOA Chair. This could be your opportunity to help shape the development of orienteering in the Army and may be a useful additional role to augment your annual report, demonstrating other military interests and service.
AOA Secretary Duties: Manage the day to day operation of the AOA.
- Manage the AOA Public Funds Budget, including budget setting.
- Review and refresh Army Orienteering DIN on a regular basis, in collaboration with the AOA Chair.
- Process and arrange payment of appropriate expenditure, including course staff, fuel and mapping.
- Liaise with delivery personnel for major AOA events, incl Inter Unit & Inter Corps Champs, agreeing expenditure and prizes.
- Determine with AOA Chair, date, venue and agenda for annual meeting and issue timely notice of, and agenda for, the meetings.
- Produce minutes, obtaining approval from AOA Exec and publish, plus final approval at future meetings.
- Issue timely notice of dates, venues and agendas for Exec Committee meetings and the AGM.
- To be the main POC with ASCB, providing relevant returns, as requested.
- Communicate and respond to general enquiries by mail, email and telephone, and report to AOA as necessary.
- Maintain archive of the minutes of AGMs and Committee meetings and if needed deputise and chair Committee Meetings.
- Ensure, with the Chair, that meetings and AOA affairs are conducted in accordance with accepted practices.
- Maintain list of AOA officers and update AOA news on the BAOC website.